The Lower Emmendingen Gate is the only one remaining of the original four city gates. A toll was collected here until the middle of the 19th century. Passage toll collection belonged to the rights of the city. The right arch of the gate was added later in 1929 as marked by the golden roman numeral MCMXXIX.
Inside de gate in the Art Gallery (Galerie im Tor) alternating exhibitions of contemporary art are displayed in the following fields: paintings, drawings, photography and sculptures.
The Karl Friedrich Street was constructed as a new suburb according to a margrave Decree in 1757.
The local Court House three hundred meters away from here was originally used as the official residence of the bailiffs.